Monday, June 25, 2018

Gonna sit right down and write myself a letter

(Yes, that's a song reference--google it.)

Every year I get the gardening bug--the urge to plant and grow vegetables.  The seed catalogs start arriving in March and I pore over them, plotting and planning what to put where.  April is still a little iffy where I live, so I wait until May to actually buy my seedlings (from a local store).  A neighbor tills up the garden spot for me, I use my trusty hoe to make new homes for the seedlings; I cover them carefully  with soil & finish by watering them.  For a few weeks afterwards, I tend the plants almost daily, watering the thirsty little devils and removing any grass or weeds that dare poke up their heads.  But about a month in, I start to lose focus.  You see by then, summer hits southeast Missouri with full force, which means 90 degree temperatures and humidity levels that equal a soaked woolen blanket.  Honestly, I don't know what possess me to plant a garden.  I really don't have time, I don't fare well in hot/humid conditions, and let's be truthful...who wants to weed a garden, getting bitten by chiggers* after working a full-time job??  So for next year I'm going to write myself a letter, reminding myself that I really don't like working in a full-blown garden.  Maybe some raised beds, or flower pots?

(*Google chiggers...horrible little buggers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment